Identifying Your Rights In Child Abduction Cases

When children are taken by one parent without the consent of the other, it could be a case of child abduction. This can occur in many situations, including situations in which parents separate, move away or leave the country.

Polten & Associates, Lawyers and Notaries, has experience with bringing child abduction cases to a quick and safe resolution. Located in Toronto, Ontario, we can help you identify:

  • Your rights to have your child returned
  • Proper legal procedures
  • Permission and consent rights

Determining Jurisdiction And Consent

In child abduction cases, it is imperative to identify the court that has jurisdiction — the power to make legal decisions. It is also important to determine whether the other parent provided consent for the child to be removed from the country. Typically, the courts in the child's country of residence have jurisdiction over the situation. However, this is not always the case, and it is important to know what to do when local courts do not have authority.

Determining consent is equally essential. At Polten & Associates, we can help identify if consent was provided, and if not, what judicial remedies might apply in cases of child abduction.

Resolving International Abduction Cases

In issues where one parent lives in Canada and the other lives abroad, both parents need to agree on the permanent living arrangements of their child. With our firm's 25 years of experience working with Germanic nations, we can guide your case through the appropriate channels if a child has been abducted from his or her home country.

We possess an in-depth understanding of the Hague Convention — a joint agreement between many countries to expedite the litigation process involving child abductions. We use this knowledge to apply the Convention's provisions to your situation in order to reunite your family as quickly as possible.

Get A Legal Opinion On Your Child Abduction Matter

If you are concerned that your ex-spouse or partner has taken your children away from their home with no intention of returning, you may be facing a case of child abduction.

Call Polten & Associates, Lawyers and Notaries at 647-724-4175 or toll-free at 866-322-6521 to find out how we can help. You can also request a meeting using our online form.